Sponsor

Latest News
Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Radish Seed Production: Root to Seed Method

So, I had some free time while I was working on my second novel this vacation. I visited our vegetable garden, and saw some mature radish peeping above the ground. As healthy they looked, they looked equally tasty. I came up with an idea to actually test the Root to Seed method of radish seed production. When I told mom about the whole idea, about cutting the radish root into 1/4 half and shoot into 1/3 half, she was sure it wouldn't quite transplant. And I wanted to test if what I studied in the uni works or not. I was just curious.
White Icicle

Object: To test the root to seed method of seed production in radish
Materials Required: A fully mature radish plant, knife and hoe
Theory: Root to seed method of seed production is also called ex-situ method. Generally, nucleus seeds are mined via this method. Root to seed method can't be applied in case to European or temperate varieties as they can't withstand the stress of transplantation very well. After the true to type and fully mature plants are selected, they are uprooted and given a proper cut (generally 1/3rd top cut and 1/4th bottom cut). They are then transplanted at a wider spacing (usually 90x15-20 cm), and basically during mid-November to mid-December. Selection and rouging are done on the basis of foliage and root characters like color, shape, size, flesh color, pungency etc. Spraying of GA3 at 100 ppm after replanting increases flowering percent in varieties like Pusa Himali, Japanese White etc. Isolation distance of 1600m for nucleus seed and 1000 m for foundation seed should be maintained.
Procedure:
1. I went to our vegetable garden and selected a healthy mature radish plant.
2. After having uprooted it, I took the knife and chopped up 1/3rd of top and 1/4th of the bottom.
3. I then selected a wide space, or isolated space from other radish, with fertile soil.
4. I transplanted the radish after digging up on that space.

Observation: To be observed


  • Blogger Comments
  • Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Item Reviewed: Radish Seed Production: Root to Seed Method Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Nawab